The following educational qualifications entitle prospective students to study at a technical college in Lower Saxony:
General higher education entrance qualification
This is certified by the graduation diploma.
Degrees for advanced technical college entrance qualification in Lower Saxony
- Degree from a technical secondary school
- Degree from a two-year technical school of specific fields as long as secondary qualification I was acquired first
- Certificate of advanced technical college entrance qualification from the relevant authority (the school at which the academic component of the advanced technical college entrance qualification was acquired or the vocational school) for training programs consisting of an academic and practical component
If your certificate bears the statement that the "academic component of the advanced technical college entrance qualification" has been satisfied, you always require the practical component of the advanced technical college entrance qualification as well. Only when both are available can the relevant authority issue the required advanced technical college entrance qualification.
Please note with regard to point 3: The advanced technical college entrance qualification must be verified by a certificate from the relevant authority; submission of certificates and written documents concerning academic and practical training is not sufficient. If the degree was acquired in Lower Saxony, the certificate is issued by the school at which the academic component of the advanced technical college entrance qualification was acquired or the vocational school attended as a part of the training program.
Degrees for advanced technical college entrance qualification obtained outside Lower Saxony
An advanced technical college entrance qualification acquired in other States of the Federal Republic of Germany is recognized in Lower Saxony. Please note that, if the advanced technical college entrance qualification consists of an academic and a practical component, the relevant authority must issue a certificate of advanced technical college entrance qualification. In case of doubt, please contact the University Registrar of Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences.
Completed specialist preparatory vocational training
Professional qualifications entitling prospective students to unrestricted study at the technical college include:
- The master's certificate or a completed training course as a certified technician or as a certified economist
- A further training qualification on the basis of an advanced training regulation according to Article 53 or 54 of the German Vocational Training Act, Article 42 or 42a of the Handicrafts Regulation Law (e.g. business administrator or certified marketing expert from various subject areas) comprising at least 400 hours
Professional qualifications entitling prospective students to restricted study at the technical college include:
- A degree from a training program of at least three years in a recognized occupation followed by at least three years exercising the learned occupation. The professional qualification must be demonstrably related to the pursued degree program. The University will decide on the relevance of the qualification.
If you wish to study a particular subject, but do not yet have the university entrance qualification, you can take a university entrance examination in order to acquire subject-restricted admission to the university. The prerequisite is a school degree of secondary level 1 and the completion of a vocational training program of at least two years or relevant professional activity for a period of five years.
You must apply for admission at the appropriate Niedersächsische Landesinstitut für schulische Qualitätsentwicklung (State Institute for Educational Quality Development of Lower Saxony) and, after passing the General Part, take the Special Part of the examination at Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences.
For advice and information concerning the entrance exam, please contact:
Sabine Ocklitz-Sichermann or Sascha Manin
Phone: +49 5121 1695-311 bzw. -224
Click here for the NLQ website.
Also ask your educational institution for the preparation course
Exam components of the Special Part:
- Written exam (three hours)
- Oral exam (approx. 45 min)
The condition for admission is passing the General Part.