When does the semester begin? What is the semester fee? Where can I find the examination schedules? What can I do with the CampusCard? We have compiled the most important information for the organization of your studies. If you have any questions, we would also like to help you personally. For contact data of your point of contact, see the respective topics.
The academic year consists of a winter semester and a summer semester. The winter semester officially begins on September 1st and ends on February 28th/29th of the next calendar year. The summer semester begins on March 1st and ends on August 31st.
|Start of lectures||Start of examinations||End of examinations|
|Winter semester 2018/2019||September 24, 2018||January 12, 2019||February 2, 2019|
|Summer semester 2019||March 4, 2019||June 15, 2019||July 6, 2019|
|Winter semester 2019/2020||September 23, 2019||January 11, 2020||February 1, 2020|
|Summer semester 2020||March 2, 2020||June 13, 2020||July 4, 2020|
|Winter semester 2020/2021||September 21, 2020||January 16, 2021||February 6, 2021|
|Summer semester 2021||March 8, 2021||June 19, 2021||July 10, 2021|
|Winter semester 2021/2022||September 27, 2021||January 15, 2022||February 5, 2022|
Teaching generally starts, dependent on the respective date
- in the winter semester, at the beginning of the 39th calendar week and generally ends during the 5th week of the following calendar year (19 weeks). Examinations start on the Saturday of the second week of the year.
- in the summer semester, at the beginning of the 10th calendar week and generally ends during the 27th calendar week (18 weeks). Examinations start on the Saturday of the 24th calendar week.
More special features
- The dates and objectives are largely compatible with the Lower Saxony and North Rhine-Westphalia summer vacations. They also include a lecture break of four weeks in February/March.
- The Friday before the Tuesday after Pentecost are used for lectures. So, instead, there are no lectures on the Friday after Ascension Day.
- Lectures are not held through the holidays at the turn of the year during the winter semester. There are no lectures on January 2 if it falls on a Friday. This creates an additional day off during the Easter week.
- There are no lectures on December 22 if it falls on a Monday. There are no lectures on December 23 to allow for timely journeys home.
- Lectures will be resumed on the Tuesday after Easter. For this, there are no s during the entire Holy week.
General opening hours of the university buildings:
Monday - Friday 7:00 am - 8:00 pm
Saturday 7:30 am - 1:00 pm
Self-study areas (building CL, building SB 4th floor)
Monday - Friday 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Administrative fee: 75,- Euro
Student services fee: 69,- Euro
Student self-administration fee: 8.70 Euro
Public transportation ticket: 187.52 Euro
Total: 340.22 Euro
* = does not apply for the extra-occupational Bachelor's degree programs "Nursing Management", "Nursing Science" and "Elementary Education", as well as all non-consecutive extra-occupational Master's degree programs; these pay the amount reduced by the public transportation ticket of €152.70 and/or if applicable, fees to be paid in addition according to the fee schedule of the degree program.
Administrative fee: 75.- Euro
Student services fee: 69.- Euro
Student self-administration fee: 8.70 Euro
Public transportation ticket: 155.38 Euro
Total: 308.08 Euro
* = does not apply for the extra-occupational degree programs "Management of Operating Systems” as well as all non-consecutive extra-occupational Master's degree programs; these pay the amount reduced by the public transportation ticket of €155.38 and/or if applicable, fees to be paid in addition according to the fee schedule of the degree program.
student sabbatical / student leave of absence
Students who are on an academic leave of absence pay an amount reduced by the administration fee.
Student sabbatical semester fee sommer semester 2019:
Degree programs with public transportation ticket:
Osnabrück location: 265.22 Euro
Lingen location: 233.08 Euro
Degree programs without public transportation ticket:
Osnabrück and Lingen locations: 75.70 Euro
Enrolled students who want to continue their studies in the following semester must report back in the following periods:
- June 1 to July 15 for the winter semester
- December 1 to January 15 for the summer semester
Re-registering takes place by the transfer of the current semester contribution (and the long-term study fees, if applicable) to the following account:
Line 1: "Your student number"
Line 2: "Your surname, first name"
Academic leave of absence
Students can be granted a leave of absence from the second semester for one to four semesters for an important reason. Study and examination services cannot be used during a leave of absence.
Also in the sabbatical semesters, students must re-register, but the semester fee is reduced by the administrative fee. For the current semester fee for a sabbatical semester, see the point Semester fee.
Applications are to be submitted in writing for the winter semester no later than July 15 and for the summer semester no later than January 15. Learn more about the leave of absence from the Registrar's Office (website only available in German) at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: +49 (0)541 969-7100
Students can de-register at any time through a written request to the Registrar's Office (website only available in German). Find the application form on the OSCA Portal. The de-registration is done - if not otherwise requested - usually at the end of the current semester. It may not be retroactively rescinded.
Upon successful completion of the degree program, the de-registration takes place automatically with the date of the last examination.
The CampusCard is your student identity card. You will get it automatically by mail as a first-year student. To get your CampusCard, it is necessary that all documents required for registration were filed completely and your semester fee has been received in the Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences bank account. Then upload a digital passport image on the OSCA Portal. Details will also be provided by e-mail.
What functions does the CampusCard have for students?
- Library card (website only available in German)
- Public transportation ticket for bus and train
- Payment card for canteens and cafeterias (website only available in German)
- Print and copy card (website only available in German)
- Access card for buildings and locker locks
- Visual identification
How long is the CampusCard valid?
You extend the validity period of your CampusCard - and hence the validity of the public transportation ticket - each semester after your renewal registration for the next semester at one of our validation stations (map):
- Westerberg Campus: in the building AB, next to the main entrance (Albrechtstraße)
- Haste Campus: located near the library (Building HR)
- Lingen Campus: in the building of "Studentisches Arbeiten" (Hall I/II, Building KH)
Where can I load money onto my CampusCard?
Money can be added to the card at the following locations:
- in the cafeterias am Westerberg, in Haste and the Bistro Caprivistraße
- in the Westerberg and Haste libraries
- in the cafeteria
- in the library
How do I get a new CampusCard if it is lost, stolen or defective?
Please contact the ServiceDesk (website only available in German) with your student number. A processing fee of €15 will be charged for the replacement of lost or deliberately damaged CampusCards.
The Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences provides you with various services, such as a private mailbox, free WLAN, access to the OSCA Portal as well as the PC pools.
Central user ID for e-mail and the OSCA-portal
For many IT services, you need a central user ID. This consists of a user name and a password. With your approval or your registration, you will automatically get your user ID and a temporary password by e-mail. Please change the temporary password on the OSCA-portal under the "Manage profile" menu item to get access to all services. For more information about the central user ID and changing the password, see the Infothek (information desk).
Each student will receive a personal e-mail address in the following form from the Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences: First name.Surname@hs-osnabrueck.de. Please regularly check your mailbox for new e-mail because all official notifications of the Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences will be sent to this e-mail address. You can reach your mailbox via the OSCA-portal. You can retrieve your e-mail with a mail client. You can find setup instructions in the Infothek on the OSCA-portal.
The OSCA-portal (Osnabrück Campus activities) is the intranet of the Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences. There you can manage your personal profile, register for modules, lectures and exams and retrieve studies services and certificates.
In virtual learning rooms, you have the option of exchanging study materials, information and coordination within the courses. A bulletin board and software downloads are available in addition to an extensive Infothek (information center).
For the login you will need your central user ID and password.
Internet access at the university locations
If you use a laptop or smartphone with wi-fi, free, wireless Internet access is available at many locations of the Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences. The name of the WLAN network is "eduroam".
Eduroam (education roaming) is a global network of universities and research institutions, which allows you to use the Internet with your central user ID. Instructions to set up eduroam are available on the OSCA-portal.
In the learning landscapes of the buildings SB, SL and CL, you can use also the network ports with your own network cable in addition to WLAN. There too, you need your central user ID. Instructions on how to set up your device for network access can also be found on the OSCA Portal.
Printing and copying services
On campus, there are several multifunction devices from the Konica-Minolta Company which can be used via the payment function of the CampusCard. More information about prices and locations is located in the Infothek (information desk) on the OSCA Portal.
The ServiceDesk is available for questions and problems relating to the central IT services of the university. These include, among others, the OSCA University Portal, the central user ID, your e-mail, WLAN with eduroam, the application portal and many other services.
Phone: +49 (0) 541 969-7100
Monday to Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
AB 0101 A
Note: Write us, if possible, from your university e-mail address so that the system automatically assigns your person and you will soon understand the respective processing steps OSCA Portal to your ticket.
For the Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences reconciling studies and care-giving responsibility is a priority. Therefore, we support you with various measures to balance studies and family.
The staff of the Equal Opportunity Office (website only availabe in German) is available for personal advice on the balancing of studies and family. The Equal Opportunity Office also provides information on topics such as child care or changing rooms at the Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences in addition to contact people.
Identification "Studies and family"
Students with children or with care-giving responsibilities may also apply for the "Study and family" card in the Registrar's Office (website only available in German). This allows, for example, a more flexible course of studies. More information as well as the application form can be found on the OSCA-portal.
Your contact person for the issuance of the card:
Registrar's Office in the AF Building, Room AF 0023
Phone: +49 (0)541 969-3139
Initiative "Studying with a child"
Studying with a child (website is only available in German) is an initiative of the universities, student services, and the City of Osnabrück. There you will find support and care-giving services, as well as information on topics such as financial services.
Students are insured against accidents by the State of Lower Saxony upon registration. This accident insurance relates solely to personal injuries, which occur in connection with the degree program. Accidents which occur during e.g. leisure time are not covered. Because the university is obliged to report accidents within three days after being notified, we ask you to report accidents immediately.
Your contact person with accidents:
Registrar's Office in the AF Building, Room AF 0023
Phone: +49 (0)541 969-3139