Together, Osnabrück University of Applied Scienes and the University of Osnabrück offer a pogram which prepares refugees for academic studies in Osnabrück. It is sponsored by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
This programm consists of 24 hours/week and combines the following aspects:
- German language course: Intensive language course taught by qualified teachers of German as a Foreign Language
- Tutorial: Learning German in small groups with a student tutor of one of Osnabrück's universities
- Self-study period: An introduction to self-organized and responsible learning
- Academic writing: An Introduction to academic writing methods
- Intercultural competence at a glance: Seminar on intercultural aspects of living and studying in Germany
- Lecture: Experiencing and understanding Germany
This year's program is planned to start on August 1st, 2020. The application deadline passes on July 20th, 2020.
You are welcome to apply if you plan to study as a regular student at Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences or at the University of Osnabrück, and if you fulfill the following requirements:
- you have at least your asylum-seeker registration certificate (BüMA)
- you have a university entrance qualification for Germany (we will be happy to give you information on the university entrance qualification at StudyOS in the University of Osnabrück or in the Center for International Students at Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences)
- you can prove that you have already reached A2 language proficiency in German
To apply for STUDYPREP OS, please send us the following application documents:
- Application form
- Proof of your refugee status
- CV (translated into GER)
- Copy of your school leaving certificate (translated into GER or ENG)
- In case you have already studied: Copy of your university degree (translated into GER or ENG)
- Copy of your German certificate (at least A2)
- Letter of motivation: please explain why you would like to participate in STUDYPREP OS and what goals you would like to attain (approx. 150 words)
If you meet all the entry requirements, please participate in one of our German language assessment tests. The language assessment test is expected to take place on Friday, July 24th, 2020. The STUDYPREP OS program begins with a compulsory orientation session on Friday, July 31st, 2020.
Please fill in the application form, attach all the obligatory documents mentioned above, and hand your application in latest by July 20th, 2020 using the contact details below.
In case you have already participated in STUDYPREP OS in the past, it is not necessary to add all of the documents again. Please only submit the application form.
The level of the language course will be determined after the assessment tests have been taken. We will take the language proficiency levels of the applicants into account, and form a group as homogeneous as possible.
The course is expected to end in December 2020. It therefore has a duration of 5 months. If the participants have not yet reached the targeted proficiency level by December 2020, the program will be extended.
During the month of August, there will be two days of language classes at the university and three days online and at home. From September onwards, the entire course will take place at the university. Nevertheless, to participate from the beginning, you will need an internet ready personal computer. It will not be possible to join the course in September.
The language course takes place: Mondays - Fridays from 10:00 - 13:30. Nevertheless, there are also events (e.g.: lecture) that take place in the afternoon. Participants must be flexible in their schedules.
This depends on the proficiency level at which the participants start. The selection of the format of the exam (e.g.: TestDaF, telc, etc.) has not yet been fixed.
Yes. STUDYPREP OS is a study preparation program. Participants are required to take part in all modules (language course, tutorial, self-study period, academic writing/ intercultural perspective and lecture series). Participants who are frequently absent are not eligible to participate in STUDYPREP OS. The detailed attendance regulations will be discussed at the beginning of the program.
Yes. Participation in STUDYPREP OS is also possible with a permission to reside (Aufenthaltsgestattung), asylum-seeker registration certificate (BüMA) or temporary suspension of deportation status (Duldung).
The course participation in STUDYPREP OS is free of charge. The cost for the exam and the textbooks (a total of approx. 210€) must be paid by the participants themselves.
The application deadline for STUDYPREP OS 2020 is July 20th, 2020.
If you meet all the entry requirements, the language assessment test is expected to take place on Friday, July 24th, 2020. The STUDYPREP OS program begins with a compulsory orientation session on Friday, July 31st, 2020.
Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences
Room: AB 0004
Albrechtstr. 30, 49076 Osnabrück
Telephone: +49 (0)541 969-3279
The University of Osnabrück
Dr. phil. Christiane Beinke
Neuer Graben 7/9, 49074 Osnabrück
Telefon: +49 (0)541 969-4977
sponsored by the DAAD with funding contributed by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)